National Volunteer Week is scheduled for April 18-24, 2021. While the pandemic continues to make in-person volunteering a challenge, there are still ways to celebrate the week. Check out these 5 ideas for things to do for National Volunteer Week.
- Plan a way to show appreciation to your board. Volunteer leadership is at the heart of the credit union movement. Show your volunteer board how much they mean to your credit union by a small act of appreciation.
- Start thinking about your credit union’s next volunteer opportunity. The Southeastern Credit Union Foundation has great resources for virtual opportunities including Virtual Reality Fairs and Books Make Cent$, a series of books and lesson plans for elementary-aged students that can be completed remotely.
- Get staff involved. If volunteering is not an option, share photos of past volunteer activities. Recognize the people who attend community events sponsored by the credit union and highlight the folks who do a great job of volunteering individually.
- Use your platform. If you utilize social media, consider posting about the charitable organizations your credit union has partnered with. These organizations are always looking for volunteers and donors; help them gain exposure by sharing why their mission is important to your credit union.
- Brag about your credit union’s volunteerism. Don’t be afraid to toot your horn when your credit union and people participate in service. This is an excellent way to tell the story of the credit union difference so don’t keep it a secret. Notify local elected officials and the media if the credit union is hosting or participating in something wonderful. And remember to share photos and stories with the League. We love to post the outstanding efforts of member credit unions!