The CUNA Recruitment Committee recently launched an effort to begin recruiting for certain open positions within the CUNA Board of Directors with Chairman Brad Green, president/CEO of Lister
In March 2019, the CUNA Board approved the creation of a Recruitment Committee with the intent to reach a broader and more diverse audience of potential Board candidates. CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle recently announced that the CUNA Board of Directors passed a resolution to clearly and prominently establish diversity, equity and inclusion as a shared cooperative credit union principle.
In addition to Green, the CUNA Recruitment Committee is comprised of:
- Tony Budet, President/CEO of University Federal Credit Union;
- Teresa Freeborn, President/CEO of Xceed Financial Credit Union; and
- Debie Keesee, President/CEO of Spokane Media Federal Credit Union.
Currently, the CUNA Recruitment Committee is actively recruiting for two Board seats:
- District 1, Class A (credit unions from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands with less than 38,000 members); and
- Class C (credit unions with at least 141,000 members, elected at-large nationally)
The CUNA Board of Directors resolved that a board candidate should possess certain qualities and characteristics, with the goal of being both diverse and inclusive, and encourages candidates to consider these characteristics, experiences and influences when self-assessing their qualifications for a Board position.
CUNA’s Recruitment Committee will consider the following characteristics
1. Demonstrated commitment and engagement in the CUNA/League System
2. Involvement in their credit union community
3. Proven decision-making skills
4. Demonstrated local, state and national CUNA advocacy experience/efforts
5. Business savvy
6. Communication skills
7. Strategic expertise
8. Dedication to credit union values
9. Leadership skills
10. Demonstrated commitment to ensuring diversity and inclusion in professional settings, e.g. qualifications, experience, geography, demographics, etc.
Candidates will have the opportunity to address how they meet these characteristics as they complete their candidate profile form. To view the official call for nominations, which provides additional information on duties of a director, eligibility, how to submit a nomination and other important information, click here.