The National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions is holding its annual conference Oct. 23-24 at the Wyndham Grand Hotel in Clearwater, FL, with LSCU President/CEO Patrick La Pine making the welcoming remarks at the opening reception for the event. This is the largest gathering of credit unions with a mission of financial inclusion in the U.S. The conference brings together thought leaders, policymakers, researchers, and practitioners in the fields of financial empowerment and community development.
Before joining the LSCU & Affiliates in 2009 as its first President and CEO, Patrick worked for the Michigan Credit Union League for more than 10 years, rising to the level of Executive Vice President of Association Services. Prior to that, he worked for both the Michigan House of Representatives and the United States Senate. Patrick holds a master’s degree from the University of Michigan in Public Administration, and a bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University in Political Science.
After Patrick’s welcome, here’s a sample of what’s in store for attendees of this year’s Conference.
· Ask the Chairman – Speaker: J. Mark McWatters, Chairman, National Credit Union Administration
· Why Financial Inclusion? – Speakers: Gigi Hyland, Executive Director, National Credit Union Foundation; and Jonathan Mintz, Founding President/CEO, Cities for Financial Empowerment (CFE) Fund
· Mission and Margin – Speakers: Carla Decker, President/CEO, DC Federal Credit Union; Winona Nava, President/CEO, Guadalupe Credit Union; and Luis Pastor is President/CEO of Latino Community Credit Union
· CDFI Fund News and Updates – Speaker: Annie Donovan, Director, CDFI Fund
· Focus on Growth – Speakers: Richard Romero, CEO, Seattle Credit Union; and Teri Robinson, CEO, Pacific Northwest Ironworkers Federal Credit Union
· Amplifying Impact: Lending + Counseling – Speakers: Sarah Sable, Chief Program Officer, Neighborhood Trust Financial Partners; and Andrea Heller, Money$ense Program Manager, Opportunities Credit Union
· Solar Lending Practices by Community and Regional Financial Institutions – Speakers: Paul Schwabe, Senior Energy Analyst, National Renewable Energy Lab; and Cheryl Fatnassi, CEO, Opportunities Credit Union